You can find the up to date information on this page: https://aussieguy92.com/world-building/
There have been so many updates and everyone is in different stages of migration so it’s been a nightmare to consolidate information. It’s best to browse from the world-building section to find what you need.
If you want to read the full official documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/altspace-vr/world-building/upgrading-content-to-the-latest-unity
Update 3:26 am CST 3rd June 2021
I’ve gone through Discord and spoken to other reputable world builders about this update and I wanted to give some further clarity on this update.
There are a lot of users frustrated at the lack of clarity in the documentation and news announcements. Information is scattered and unclear at the moment. However, from talking to members of the community and forming my own analysis by reading in between the lines and comments from admins on the Discord.
- In the next few weeks, there will be an update that will break existing content.
- Kit’s will need to be updated by the content creators to be compatible after the update.
- Templates will need to be updated by the content creators to be compatible after the update.
- MRE’s that rely on kit artifacts will also need to be updated. If the MRE developer uses artifacts, they don’t own; they will need to be updated as well.
- The update in the next few weeks is marked a ‘stereo rendering’ update, but the following paragraph explains it will break everything and is a one-way forward in migration.
Moving to Unity 2020.3.9
Starting today, AltspaceVR has upgraded to a recent version of Unity (2020.3.9). In addition to some performance improvements, this update future-proofs us for forthcoming features that we’re excited to incorporate. This change should be compatible with all existing content. If it isn’t, feel free to contact support: altvr.com/support
Though this move to 2020.3.9 hasn’t affected user-generated content, in a few weeks we’re making a change to AltspaceVR’s stereo rendering mode, which will require users to update their content. This upgrade to Single Pass Instancing will allow for significant performance improvements in your worlds. Keep in mind that this new build will no longer support backwards-compatibility with content from 2019.4 and older. It’s urgent that all creator-owned content is updated as soon as possible to avoid breaking changes. Follow the guide below to update your content and ensure a smooth transition to Single Pass Instancing on Unity 2020.3.9.https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/altspace-vr/world-building/upgrading-content-to-the-latest-unity
- AltspaceVR’s stereo rendering mode, which will require users to update their content which they are planning to make an update in a few weeks time.
- It’s urgent that all creator-owned content is updated as soon as possible to avoid breaking changes.
- The upgrade to Unity 2020.3.9 will also affect headset and store-build compatibility. It’s now a requirement that you download AltspaceVR from the store that is compatible with your headset.
Uploader v0.9.0 Upgrade Guide
- Backup your projects and back it up again if you really want to be safe
- Remove the old uploader from your project which you can find a guide here that shows you how it is done. But due to the massive change that article as time of posting that article will be slightly outdated.
New Important Steps During Upgrade
- REMOVE OLD UPLOADER – With Unity closed, delete the following files/folders, and it’s corresponding .meta
* Assets/Altspace * Assets/Plugins * Assets/Prefabs/test-folder, Readme.txt * Assets/Resources/bg.jpeg, bg2.jpeg, logo.png, UserPreferences.asset * Assets/DFloor_v004.fbx * Library (This is a Unity system folder, not an Uploader folder. Delete it anyway, and let it be rebuilt during the upgrade.)
If you want screenshots that show you how you can upgrade. This guide should help until I can update it and be sure to follow the steps above with this particular update. https://aussieguy92.com/how-to-update-your-altspace-unity-uploader/
- DOWNLOAD ENGINE VERSION – Open the Unity Hub, and install the latest revision of Unity 2020.3.9 (5f1 as of this writing).
- UPGRADE PROJECT – Open your cleaned project in Unity 2020.3.9, and allow Unity to upgrade your project.
- (PC Only) DOWNLOAD MIXED REALITY FEATURE TOOL – Follow the instructions to download the Mixed Reality Feature Tool, which you’ll use to manage the installation of the Uploader package.
- INSTALL THE UPLOADER – Use the MR Feature Tool to select your Unity project, and add the AltspaceVR Uploader feature (under the AltspaceVR heading). Follow the instructions in the tool.
This is where the upgrade becomes different from previous upgrades.
(PC Only) DOWNLOAD MIXED REALITY FEATURE TOOL – Follow the instructions to download the Mixed Reality Feature Tool, which you’ll use to manage the installation of the Uploader package.
Mac OS: On macOS, manually download the latest version from the registry, and install it from within the Unity Editor’s package manager (Windows > Package Manager > + > Add package from tarball).
What is this tool?
The Mixed Reality Feature Tool is a new way for developers to discover, update, and add Mixed Reality feature packages into Unity projects. You can search packages by name or category, see their dependencies, and even view proposed changes to your projects manifest file before importing. If you’ve never worked with a manifest file before, it’s a JSON file containing all your projects packages. Once you’ve validated the packages you want, the Mixed Reality Feature tool will download them into the project of your choice.https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/develop/unity/welcome-to-mr-feature-tool
- This update is one-way only you will not be able to downgrade back to a previous version, so be sure to backup your projects.
- You will need to follow the additional steps for all AltSpace Unity Projects.
- No doubt you will need to become familiar with upgrading the packages in the future, so be sure to do these upgrades with care and follow the steps.
If you are unsure, hold off upgrading
There are AltVR support and a Discord server for help with uploader and Unity related issues. Since there are problems that may not be documented here even, be sure to check out the channels as that will be the fastest way to get up to date information.